BG code

Mobify

04 September 2012

August 2012 (part one)

Let me actually start in the last week of July. It's all a little blurry now, but that's the week that Molley (my almost 12 year old Cocker Spaniel) started getting sick. Before I go any further, i am sorry if the details are boring. I just want to remember this month, or maybe forget it to an extent. I am a googler, so I googled her symptoms and read that I should take her food away for 24 hours and limit her water to see if the vomiting stopped. I think this was on Friday. On Saturday(July 28th) we went to Troy for a baby shower for Riggs Kelly that happened to be at Dr. Doug Hawkins' house who is a veterinarian in Troy. I talked to him about Molley and he sent me home with some medicine for her. This medicine worked for a few hours, but she was still getting sick.



(here is Molley begging for her food when I had to take it up for 24 hours)
This continued until Monday and I took her to her vet in Monroeville. Dr. Grider did an x-ray and saw that Molley's intestines were inflamed and he gave her medicine for this an nausea and I brought her home that night. I gave her the medicine and she ate a few small pieces of hot dog. After that, she wouldn't eat anything!!! Nothing!!! I tried cheese, I tried sandwich meat, everything I could think of to feed her. Mom was cooking chicken and rice for Molley, and she wouldn't eat. She seemed to want the food, however when she started chewing the food she would drop it back on the floor. This went on until Friday and I took her back to Dr. Grider. he was getting very concerned at this point due to the amount of weight she was loosing(she was down to 15.3lbs). The only thing we were able to get her to eat that week was ice cream. Dr. Grider was concerned that she may have Addison's disease or worse cancer, so he suggested that I take her to the Emergency Care Unit at Auburn University's small animal clinic. Daniel, Mom and I jumped in the car and made it to Auburn just before the 3pm cut off time. We had to get her there before 3pm or they would have to keep her all weekend to do the needed test on Monday. To say I was a basket case would be an understatement. I cried all the way to Auburn and just held on to Molley. The ER doctors were so kind and understanding while they evaluated Molley's case. They asked us to leave her with them for an hour or so to run test and do blood work. They passed Molley's case on to an resident doctor named Dr. Ashley Durrance. While Molley was having her test run we drove over to Opelika to buy Daniel a new pair of golf shoes. It wasn't long before Dr. Durrance called and said Molley has a severe case of Pancreatitis and would need a few days of treatments and a new low fat diet to get her back to normal. We had two options. We could take Molley home and give her the medicines there or leave her in Auburn and they could give her the medicines through an IV as well as fluids and nutrition. Knowing that she hadn't eaten in almost a week, I opted to let her stay in Auburn where she could get the nutrition and medicine and 24 hour care. We went back by the clinic to visit her before we left town. While we were there, Dr. Durrance wanted to go over somethings with us that they found during an ultrasound of Molley's abdomen. There was the obvious irritation to her pancreas, a slightly enlarged lymph node near her pancreas and a thickened portion of her stomach that really seemed to concern the doctors. Dr. Durrance asked that we bring Molley back after a month for them to recheck this finding. Honestly, as we left that night I didn't think much at all about the finding with her stomach. I was convinced it was just pancreatitis and she would be all good on Sunday. Saturday I had one sad pitiful puppy on my hands. Shula missed Molley as much as the rest of us did.



On Sunday Daniel's Mom and Melissa drove me to Auburn to get Molley, it was time to go home and get all this behind us.




We left Auburn with new medicine, new dog food, and a sleepy Molley.
Sidenote: Molley was on Prednisone for the inflammation in her intestines which made the pancreatitis hurt worse. She had to be weened off of this so she still felt bad when we came home.
When we got home we were giving Molley anti-nausea medication, an appetite stimulant, Tagamet and the prednisone. The nurses were able to get her to eat two whole cans of her dog food while in ICU at Auburn. Things were looking great!!
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment